I’m in the middle of redesigning my photography logo and website, and my blog header is included. If you actually are seeing the mess, that’s the excuse. And I actually have blog posts in my draft folder that I intend to publish once I finish with my graphic design fun. If only there were more hours in the day, I’d be done already.
1. After trying to get Feedly set up on my phone to read blogs, I really miss Google Reader! Is there a better app? I’m on Android. Please tell me this isn’t as good as it gets. And hopefully the WordPress app will allow me to post photos soon. This app was much better on the iPhone.
2. Speaking of which, if I could go back in time to June, when I upgraded my phone and decided to get this pos HTC First phone??? I would scream at myself, “GET THE IPHONE AGAIN!!!” My next upgrade date? June 2015.
3. Lest this sound like a typical Monday morning rant ( do you really think I’m posting at 7:30 on a Monday morning? At 7:30 on any morning? It’s 12:17 a.m. people! I just use delayed posting because I realize most of the world sleeps at night), allow me to count some blessings in the next few blurbs…
4. I love my husband. He not only let me sleep in on both days this weekend, he made sure no one came knocking on the door, no one said “mommommommommom” to me, there were no interruptions. Both days, I woke up and said “it’s what time??? How did I sleep so long???” That is love, people. Making sure your wife, the mother of your seven children, can sleep peacefully until noon on the weekend! L O V E.
5. I have the best kids ever. They are hilarious and sweet and loving. Do they make messes, argue, screw up sometimes, and even drive me nuts strikenow and /strikestrikethen/strike often? Of course! But they’re mine, I love them with all my heart, and I wouldn’t trade a single one of them for anything in the world. They’re the best.
6. God is amazingly good and merciful and loving. He has blessed our family so very much, and I’m grateful every minute. He has opened my eyes to so much these past few years, and I’m constantly learning and understanding more about Him. And of course, the more I learn, the more I realize I don’t know!
7. I have much to blog about. It’s good to be back. Maybe with time and good behavior (consistent posting), I will gain some of my readers again.
I haven’t blogged in more than five months. I have a blogging app on my phone, so there’s really no excuse. I love blogging. I miss it. I like it better than Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. But for some reason, I quit doing it. Well, no more excuses. I’m going to blog. And I’m going to read my friends’ blogs. If that means I need to give up Candy Crush and, well, sleep, then so be it.
Bring back the blogs!! Hooray!!!
I use the word ‘random’ frequently when coming up with unimaginative blog post titles, so I though I’d mix it up today. I always have the best intentions when it comes to blogging, however, there’s this matter of extra time combined with my brain being clear… and so obviously I just don’t blog very often. One day, one day.
As I lie here, not sleeping, playing on my iPhone, I figure I can at least type up a bulleted list of goings on around here. To spice it up, I might even include some random (there’s that word again) movie quotes. We all know how much I love movie quotes.
- My husband is home! My husband is home! As of five and a half days ago, Andrew has returned from Afghanistan, where he was deployed for what seemed like years, but in reality was just eight and a half months. I have been giddy, and so have the kiddos. Our family is complete once again.
- Britta has also returned to us! Hooray! She is with us for a short time, and then she plans on heading back to Greensboro, which is so much closer than Atlanta. Yay.
- “Leave my elevator alone!”
- Vega is a year old! Crazy town! She is so adorable. She is a non-stop ball of mischief and fun. She had her checkup today (with shots – boo!), and she is beyond all the 12 month milestones in every area, but she keeps dropping on the growth chart, so they are going to do a few tests just to make sure there is no metabolism or malnourishment (gut) issues. It’s probably her literal nonstop energetic movements combined with genetics, but we do have some gut issues in the family, so we are going to go ahead and rule those things out.
- One of my best friends, Ali, was in town for a day last week, and she took some one year photos of Vega for me. They turned out so cute! Visit her blog, and if you are in the Northern Virginia/D.C. area, hire her for a photo session!
- “Fortuosity. That’s me by-word. Fortuosity, me… twinkle-in-the-eye word.” (that’s been playing over and over in my head since I wrote the title of this post)
- School is out for the summer! Hallelujah!
- I’ve been doing physical therapy for my neck pain/headaches, and my hip pain. My tension headaches are virtually gone (I was having them daily), and the neck exercises are really helping my pain. My hips, well, I have an unstable sacroiliac joint, and my pelvic bones didn’t line up right after having Vega (they separate during pregnancy and go back together after delivery). My PT is trying to fix me, and we’ve made improvements, but I’m just messed up. It’s a slow process. I’m hoping to be able to run and do crossfit again, but we shall see. Right now, we are basically just (sort of) managing pain.
- It’s time to upgrade my phone, and I’m seriously considering switching to Android. I’ve had it before and loved it. I think Apple just isn’t keeping up in the smart phone arena.
- We were looking at Jarvis’ baby book today, and gas prices were 85 cents per gallon! I wish it would go back down to that!
- “I know I’m different, but from now on, I’m gonna try to be the same.”
“The same as what?”
“The same as people who aren’t different.”
- Jacob got his curls cut off last week:
- Britta keeps making cookies for me. It’s fantastic. I’ll miss her when she leaves again!
- Britta is getting close to 20! That will be 20 straight years of having a baby and/or a toddler – with zero breaks. And 4 years to go. And we are 7 years in to 29 straight years of teenagers – with no breaks. Jealous?
- My math might be slightly off on that last point, because my brain started hurting, but I think it’s right.
- “…and I have to sing everything I say…”
- Did I mention that my husband is home?!?!?! Sooooo happy about that!!
note: the following story is about one of my more normal dreams. I don’t generally share my dreams with the public because they are way too insane.
This morning, I took a nap when Vega did (because most mornings, my to do list is extra long, and nap is almost always first on the list of priorities). I had this ridiculous and long dream that I was a pink power ranger, and I was on this complex mission with other power rangers (including one with a Hello Kitty head and rainbow pants) to basically save the world. My family didn’t know I was so important, because ya know – power rangers have a secret identity (or do they? I have never actually watched an entire episode. Well, they did in my dream). Between missions in the big complex plan to save the world from some crazed lunatic who was trying to blow everything up, I was trying to call Andrew, but I couldn’t type the numbers into the phone correctly and it was very frustrating. Then I went into the other room (of this extensive underwater building where I worked), and Andrew was sitting there. I was shocked to see him, then he reminded me of his clearance, and that he had known for a while that I was a power ranger. I was so relieved that he knew, and I was excited he was there and was going to help on the next mission. Before we left, I had to change Vega’s diaper (I learned at this point in the dream that I had a nanny during save-the-world missions). I went into the bathroom, and Vega pooped all over herself and me. The nanny came in and couldn’t take Vega because she was cleaning up some other mess…. and the whole rest of my dream, I was cleaning up endless amounts of poop.
So I’m not sure what any of that means, but there ya go.
- It’s fun to say “uh-break it downnn” like DJ Lance.
- Vega says “do-gee, do-gee, do-gee, do-gee” over and over and it’s adorable!!!
- I just made the mistake of asking Darby questions about this show she is watching. Example:
Me ~ “I thought they were mermaids. Why do they have legs?”
Darby ~ “They turn into mermaids if they get wet, even if they just have one drop of water on them… so they have to be careful.”
There were multiple questions and answers, and gaining more knowledge about this tween show made me lose IQ points.
- I made a sizable dent in cleaning the garage this week. There’s a lot left to do though. My office is next!
- Netflix is awesomesauce. I’m just saying.
- I can hear Paige grinding her teeth in her sleep from across the house. It’s way worse than nails on a chalkboard. Any tips on how to get her to stop?! It might literally drive me insane.
- I saw a meme the other day that made sense to me – “Get hoarders addicted to crack, they’ll sell off all their [crap]. Boom, problem solved.”
- That last point was a joke. Lighten up, people!
- I have ‘real’ topics to blog about, and I’ve been thinking more and more about doing some writing… maybe if I stop getting knocked up every couple of years, my brain will start working again.
- I miss my husband. Can I make it 4-5 more months without him? Only time will tell.
- I read I Timothy again today – there’s so much good stuff in there!
- There’s a new widget on my sidebar linking to my brother’s fundraiser site. He and my sister-in-law update often. Please keep them in your prayers!
- Someone please come make me some cookies! Britta?? Come back!!
I know that photo is blurry, but I just love Vega’s on-the-move happy face!
Paige’s hair is finally growing out some. And she’s a mess! She’s a sweetie though. And she gives the best hugs!
Darby has grown up so much! She’s really starting to get into fashion, and have her own style. She’s definitely an original (& I love that about her)! Did I tell you she uses her middle name at school? So if I say Darby, they are like “who?! Where’s Aliya??”
Once upon a time, before child number five came along, I was pretty into making sure I always took care of my appearance, and I enjoyed fashion very much. I still enjoy it, but after child number seven, I’m just tired, and don’t take as much time or effort as I used to take. I’m starting to want to update my wardrobe, get my hair done, and refill my makeup stash though! My husband comes home in four or five months, and I want to look good for him. And I want to do it for me. I’m more productive when I’m groomed and trendy.
For now, I’ll just share some of my personal fashion rules that I know you have all been wondering about ~
- I only wear scarves to keep warm in the winter. I don’t wrap large pieces of fabric around my neck for mere decoration. This is a trend I don’t understand and cannot get on board with.
- Comfort is a key factor in my wardrobe in recent years, however, I have to actually *like* what I’m wearing. Crocs and Toms may be the most comfortable pieces of footwear-that-feels-like-puffy-clouds-on-your-feet ever made, but they’re ugly. And I’m not wearing them.
- I put my eyeliner between my eyelids and eyelashes, not between my eyelashes and eyeballs.
- High waisted pants keep trying to come back in style, but I definitely learned my lesson in the 90′s! They are not flattering!
- There are a lot of styles that come around that are super cute, but that don’t actually look good on me. I try things on, and if they aren’t flattering, I avoid wearing them. Just because something is cute and trendy does not mean every person should buy it! Wear what works on you!
- Sometimes it’s okay to throw on jeans and a t-shirt with no makeup. (It took me years to realize this.)
[note: I do not, however, condone wearing obvious pajamas out in public. Have a *little* self-dignity.]
- I don’t use belts to hold shirts on, I use them to hold pants up.
- Unlike Paige, I don’t use markers to decorate my arms, legs, and/or belly.
- I like dark colors the best. I like pastel colors the least.
***full disclosure ~ I’m currently wearing an old monkey-wearing-glasses t-shirt, pajama pants, and neon socks, but in my defense, I’m not going anywhere.
What are your fashion rules?